Running

I know I said I'd be updating on our progress but there wasn't really anything to report last week!! It was cold and snowy outside and I was reduced to running on the dreaded treadmill. I used to enjoy it when I could watch T.V. Or even when it just faced the picture on the window well. I could at least pretend I was outside running! I thought I'd try running with a DVD in, we no long have satellite, but sometime in the recent past, our DVD player in the basement, where the treadmill is, broke. So, I thought I'd put in a tape. Yep, we still have OODLES and OODLES of VHS tapes! Gasp! Most are old Disney. I thought Treasury of Mickey would be entertaining, it stunk. It's no fun at all! So, I trudged through that days schedule, partially. I lost all motivation and stopped after just one mile. Uggh! Now, in my own defense, I did have a cold, that's a legitimate excuse, right? Well, that was Wed. and I am running 3 days a week right now, in the next week or two I've got to up it to 3-4 days a week, yikes! Friday I still wasn't feeling too good so I skipped it hoping I'd get a run in on Sat. Sat., as it turns out, was COLD! I believe it was 27 outside! I bundled up, too much, and whined and complained my way through tying my shoes. John wasn't running because he had a fever and was reading on the couch under a warm cozy blanket! I reiterated that I DID NOT want to do this! John assured me that it was all in my head and that I could. I set out for my run wondering why on earth I thought I could run a 1/2 marathon. Now, up until this time, my training schedule only had me run 8 min consecutively. Mixed in with walking and then running again for less minutes. I was pondering all this during the 5 min warm up walk. I had John's voice ringing in my ear assuring me that I COULD do it! So, I set out running and kept going, and kept going, and kept going! I did our loop around the 470 trail and ran all the way until I got back home! 3.63 miles! Whoo hoo! Talk about a boost of self confidence! Maybe I could do this thing after all! Mon. I thought I'd try again but run the loop backwards. What I didn't realize was how much more was up hill running it that way. Yikes, that was rough! I stopped to walk a few times but still did 3.78 miles in not a whole lot more time. But OY, my legs were sore! John went for a run that night and we had a nice soak in the hot tub to ease our muscles. John was still not feeling back to normal and is struggling with shin splints. Ow! Poor guy! I measured the distance from our house to Lincoln, one of the main roads, the other day and it's just over 2 miles. I thought maybe, just maybe it was time to step it up and try for 4 miles!! I've never done that far in my life! I set out this morning and did my usual warm up walk, I stopped a little short of 5 min this morning just to warm up. I layered less which in the end was nice but in the beginning was a little cooler than I expected! Now again, I didn't realize how hilly this route was and I got discouraged a couple times and walked. Only for about 30 sec each time though. I made it to Lincoln and thought, it's more downhill on the way back, I can do this! And, I did! My total distance was 4.58 miles in just 6.5 minutes more than I had done the 3.78 the other day! Whoo hoo! Looks like maybe I'll be able to do this after all!

Comments

Gosh, and I thought I was doing good to get out and walk today! You go, girl!
ruthb said…
That's awesome, Jaime! So much of it IS in our heads, when it comes to physical endurance! (yknow, like childbirth! But in running, YOU are in control, so it's easier to think you can't!) Good for you for keeping at it!!!!!!!